Monday, December 27, 2010

DOVE SELF ESTEEM CAMPAIGN, WHAT DO YOU THINK?



I’ve mentioned the Dove Self Esteem Campaign before, I think in Self Esteem Exercises. Its easy to be cynical about their motives – at the end of the day they are still marketing soap!

I think it would be much better received if they were owned by someone other than unilever (who also owns Axe and Fair and Lovely). My understanding is that the brands work independently and develop their own marketing, but many won't spend money to profit a company that objectifies women and speaks against it.

I did a little digging to see how teenage girls feel about their looks. What I found out is that various surveys do seem to conclude that the majority of teenage girls want to change the way they look, therefore I think their campaign has merit. Dove say they are:-
"very commited to freeing the next generation from self-limiting beauty stereotypes".

That might be rather optimistic, as those stereotypes are deep seated and constantly being reinforced. Its been around for a while, but I only saw this video the other day. Personally I think its quite powerful, and says a lot in 75 seconds. What do you think? Has Dove helped women improve their self esteem? Do women take this ad campaign literally?

5 comments:

  1. i'm not sure what to think Tony. The only thing i could come up with is this 75 seconds must have taken hours to produce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree with the person above.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that it is helping but not young girls...perhaps older women, Mom's are happy about this campaign, but younger women couldn't care less.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a young girl and I love these ads. They are helping...most of us young people are harder to fool than those generations before us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes, these ads are very helpful

    ReplyDelete