Monday, September 21, 2009

MARKETING IN A BAD ECONOMY - WHY I DISAGREE WITH WHAT THE EXPERTS ARE TELLING US.


Yes, the economy sucks..we know that and to be quite honest I think most of us are tired of having it rammed down our throat every single day since this B.S. started. When I worked for Rogers Wireless promoting products and services to the Business segment the Powers that be suggested that our campaigns do exactly what the so called "Marketing Elite" are telling us to do. What is that you ask? It's bringing attention to our market niche who is obviously affected by the economic down turn (because no one is immune) and capturing their attention by using statements like, "in these tough economic times, you need to save money more than ever. So have we got a deal for you!", "No time for down time during these tough times", we have what it takes to keep your business moving"….and so it goes.
Frankly if you're like me and that is, "not a marketer in this case" but a consumer, then I am sure you are tired of hearing about this pathetic economy and how big businesses (who are in the business of making money) are telling us they have the solution to save us from this wretched economy.
People aren't that stupid, especially business people who fork out a crap load of money every month to a service provider to keep their business moving. Most of us prefer it more open and more honest. "You got a deal for me? Tell me what it is." "You say it can save me money, how much money?" These are statements most of us want to hear throughout our adult lives. These consistent and honest messages are what's made us a customer all of these years. Don't tie in the pathetic economy, unless you want to ruin my mood....you're not going to bail me out of this economy and the $5 savings I will be getting from purchasing your service is not going to even put a dent in my current financial situation....just give me the facts and skip all the other bullshit. People have a lot of things on their minds these days, the last thing they need is another reminder of how awful things have gotten. It's that simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment